UK +44 (0) 1799 53330 / US Tollfree +1-866-711-4880
Reading Time: 4 minutes

You may have read our recent blog posts about new legislation proposals for a new driver night driving ban and the provisionally approved legislation that requires car sold from 2022 onwards to be fitted with a range of new safety systems as standard.  Here we’re going to be talking about the potential impact Brexit could have on UK drivers, especially if we end up leaving with no deal.

Brexit is something that has been widely debated since the results of the referendum and there are plenty of strongly opinionated people on both sides of the table.  However, we’re not going to talk about whether the result to leave was right or wrong – we’ll leave that up to you – we are instead going to focus on trying to help during this time of uncertainty and turmoil.

Here’s a list of useful and important things to know/consider if you’re a UK driver who might be thinking about driving in the EU after the Brexit deadline (some of these points also apply for other means of travel to/in the EU):

  1. You’ll need an international driving permit (if we leave without a deal)
    • These can be purchased from the Post Office or driving agencies such as RAC and AA
  2. You’ll need a motor insurance green card in case you have an accident
    • If you’re taking a vehicle, caravan or trailer
    • These can be obtained by contacting your insurance provider – do it at least one month before travel!
  3. If you’re planning on driving in Ireland after Brexit then you’ll need to display a GB sticker
  4. If you live in an EU country and drive then you’ll need to exchange your UK driving licence for a local driving licence of the country you reside in (UK driving licences will no longer be recognised by EU countries after Brexit)
  5. The UK government advises that all travellers have at least 6 months left on their passport to avoid potentially being turned away at the border
  6. The EHIC card won’t be valid if the UK leaves without a deal so be sure to get health insurance if travelling to the EU
  7. Motorway and ports could see heavier traffic than usual, so you’ll need to plan accordingly
  8. If you travel with a pet then beware, pets won’t be eligible for the pet passport scheme anymore – you’ll need to go through the four month process of getting them microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and blood-tested before travel
  9. Although you won’t need a visa, from 2021, you will need to get authorisation from the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) to enter the EU. The travel authorisation will:
    • Allow travellers to stay in the EU for up to 90 days in a 180-day period (as long as you’re not working or studying)
    • Cost €7 – though it’ll be free for travellers under 18 or over 70
    • Be valid for 3 years or until the travel document expires

Believe it or not, Brexit could also impact you in the UK if you’re planning to buy or need to service/repair a vehicle after Brexit;

  1. If you purchase a new vehicle after Brexit, it might be more expensive because of the fluctuating exchange rate
  2. If you purchase a vehicle that needs to be imported then there could be delays in delivering new vehicles due to extra checks at the borders
  3. The same could apply for service, repairs or tyre replacements due to parts taking longer to arrive from the EU